In response to a number of enquiries regarding the Town Council’s position in relation to the Hunt, Great Torrington Town Council has prepared the below statement. This statement has been prepared in consultation with Devon Association of Local Councils (DALC) and with the National Association of Local Council’s (NALC’s) legal team.
- The Hunt is a privately organised event of which the Council has no jurisdiction/powers to make any decisions upon (cannot request it is banned) or involve itself in.
- The Town Council recognises that there are legal frameworks in place for both the nature of a hunt and road closures; any deviance from these frameworks needs to be addressed with the appropriate regulatory bodies, for example, the Police re the Hunt and DCC re the Road Closure.
- The Council would not support ANY activity within the community which knowingly breached any legal constraints etc.
- Any evidence or concerns members of the public have in relation to anyone or any activity being in breach of the law must approach the relevant regulatory body and report accordingly.
- Issues around events on public highways need to be addressed to Devon County Council – https://www.devon.gov.uk/roadsandtransport/make-a-request/special-events/
Highways telephone number: 0345 155 1004
Highways email address: email@example.com
Cllr Saywell contact details: 07886 446560, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Issues around safety, policing and crime need to be addressed to Devon and Cornwall Police Authority – https://www.devon-cornwall.police.uk/contact/
Devon & Cornwall Police telephone number: 101
Devon & Cornwall Police online reporting: https://services.devon-cornwall.police.uk/crimereporting/
- Issues around Street Collection Licences need to be directed to Torridge District Council – https://www.torridge.gov.uk/article/20176/Street-Collections
Licencing team telephone number: 01237 428700
Licencing team email address: email@example.com