The Environment Working Group established and the Environment Committee has adopted the following 7 “Quick Wins”.
- REPAIR, REUSE, RECYCLE: have things repaired if possible, try Men’s Shed, buy from Charity Shops/Second-hand. If it has to go: recycle it.
- If you have to buy it new, and for everyday items and food, when you can, SHOP LOCAL from Independent shops, and if you can, avoid single-use plastics.
- REDUCE FOOD WASTE – Torridge has 200 tons of food waste a month. Don’t over-buy/love your freezer/compost what you can.
- SAVE WATER: 4-minute shower challenge/turn the tap off when brushing your teeth/get a water butt for the garden. See southwestwater.co.uk/savewater for tips and free water-saving devices.
- SAVE ELECTRICITY: insulate your home/switch to LED light bulbs/turn off at the switch/only boil the water you need/switch to a renewable electricity company for your power/ Contact 361energy.org to see if you qualify for a free energy-saving consultation, they can also help you to switch to a cheaper/ more environment friendly tariff.
- FLY LESS: car share/use public transport/when (and if) you can walk!
- LET YOUR GARDEN GO WILD: stop mowing/let the wild flowers grow/stop using weed killer and other chemicals and welcome the insects.